Friday, September 7, 2012

Materializing New Space

As I reflect on the Materializing New Space exhibit, I find myself thinking back to how Jamie Kennedy & Kelly Urquhart so seamlessly combined the elements of Jamie's Photography with Kelly's drawings and paintings. The series of the nests were especially good examples of this, it was very difficult to distinguish between the photographic elements of the nests and the non-photographic elements of the grasses and flowers.
Of all the series that were shown, the series of bricks, representing traditional investing, had the biggest impact for me. So often we hear on the news how a given stock made money or lost money on a given day. This particular series was an excellent representation of how stock prices can change over the course of a day. I think I appreciated this particular series because stock charts, though are an accurate, visual representation of a stock's price, can grow tedious, and this series gave the same information, but in a way that sticks in your mind.
I also found it interesting how some of the bricks in the series on "Wall Street" investing, the non-photographic elements were more obvious, especially when compared to the series on more "lowbrow investing" by selling parts for Vespas, in which it was difficult to differentiate between jamie's photgraphic elements, and Kelly's drawings.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I too was attracted to the Stock Market project...I especially enjoyed how complex data was transformed into something visually compelling.

    ReplyDelete